The Terrebonne Historical & Cultural Society (THACS) was founded in 1972 by a group of citizens interested in preserving the history and culture of Terrebonne Parish and Southdown Plantation. THACS was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on March 12, 1973.
In February 1974, Southdown was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and on June 10, 1974, THACS was granted tax-exempt status. On July 31, 1975, Valhi, Inc donated to THACS the Southdown Plantation House, Servants Quarters building, and 4.46 acres of land. Following renovations and repairs, THACS publicly opened the property as Southdown Plantation House/The Terrebonne Museum and expanded the scope of exhibits to cover a variety of topics. Click here to learn about the exhibit rooms. Also, in 1999, an 1880s workers cabin from Hollywood Plantation was donated to THACS by Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Barrilleaux and moved to the museum grounds. It is currently being restored and will house an exhibit about "Life and Labor on a Sugar Plantation in 1885."
THACS is administered by a 21-member Board of Directors, elected from the general membership of the Society. Numerous volunteers, plus 2 paid staff, oversee the daily operation of the museum and gift shop. THACS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation and receives no public funding from the parish, state, or federal government.